The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Sep 3, 2009

I am a resident working in a blood bank. I was manually washing an HIV ELISA microplate 3 weeks ago (first wash). I hit the microplate against absorbent paper when i felt a drop of wash buffer enter my eye. We use 4 positive controls in our microplates, while 3 kit-provided controls are deactivated (sod azide), our fourth in-house control wasnt. i washed my eye for about a minute with tap water, but not gently as my eye was congested later.Im hoping i didnt damage the conjunctiva. I havent taken PEP or local disinfectent. my baseline HIV was negative,im so frightened now im scared to get another test! have i asked for trouble with the vigorous wash?.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely minimal to negligible. Did you report the incident? All health care facilities and health care training programs have policies and procedures in place to evaluate and manage occupational exposures to HIV and other bloodborne pathogens. All residents should be familiar with these services! PEP was not indicated for your potential exposure. Routine follow-up with HIV-antibody testing is all that's recommended: testing immediately and at six weeks, three months and six months). You can download a copy of the guidelines for evaluating and treating occupational HIV exposures at

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Searched Archives and Wouldn't bother you if I wasn't petrified!!!
Suffered for almost a year.. please save my future!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint