Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3 times ELISA NEGATIVE , but WB POSITIVE
Sep 3, 2009

Hi Doc, I was taking my first ELISA test on 19Feb2009, and it was 3 months after I had sexual activities. My girlfriend took the ELISA test together with me because we are planning to get married next year. Our test were non reactive. But in April 2009 I had some problem in my mouth, like candida(last for 1 month) and now it turned to Stomatitis until now. My doctor suggested me to take another hiv test. So Me and my girl friend took again ELISA on 12 May 2009. And it still non reactive. But on August my stomatitis still haven't cured yet. So I look for another doctor. She suggested me to take Western Blot,because she told me that ELISA was not accurate. Then on 7 August 2009 I took WB. But on 11August2009 I took another ELISA(curiousity) and the ELISA still non reactive. But on 1 September 2009 the WB result is positive. (I was just doing with my girl friend which we already test together twice and non reactive). My question are which one should I trust, ELISA OR WB, should I took another test( viral load ) thx

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your second opinion doctor who informed you that you should take a Western Blot because your previous repeatedly negative ELISA tests were not accurate is woefully misinformed (or a completely idiot, I'm not sure which!). Her advice is dead wrong. Western Blot tests should only be used to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA test! I would suggest you fire this doctor immediately and find a more competent physician! You are definitively HIV negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Barebacked Fool Postscript
Next
Please Help an Anxiety Sufferer Sleep Better

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.