Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nail colour
Aug 31, 2009

Hello, please answer to me. I saw that I have half of the nail red- brown at my hand and foot at the tip. I just read an article that says that these findings are common among HIV infected people. I also have many nodes that I can feel at my neck. I have done the HIV test last month and it's negative. The test is MEIA ABBOTT just for ab hiv1/hiv2, but what if I have a strain that is not shown by this test? Is this possible? I live in Romania and here there are not so many cases of hiv. I didn't have any exposure - of the one's known. I had that test and many others because I have a fobia regarding hiv. Please do you think that this half red nails means that I have hiv? I would like to donate because you are the most compassionate man on the Earth. I read all your answers and you are the best. Please tell me how to donate. Thank you and please answer.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If you've had no HIV exposure risks, you could not be HIV infected. Period! I see absolutely no reason for getting multiple HIV tests. Of course they are all negative!

Your concerns about the color of your nails and your "nodes" are unwarranted. This has absolutely nothing to do with your being HIV infected, because you are definitively HIV negative! Your worries about strains not being detected in your HIV-antibody tests are also unwarranted. These tests are very accurate. I'm glad you realize your fears are irrational (HIV phobia). I would suggest you focus your attention on confronting your irrational fears rather than continuing to chase an illness you could not possibly have. Counseling and anti-anxiety medication may well help you.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes indeed you are well from an HIV perspective, OK?)

Dr. Bob

Previous
My husband just told me he's gay
Next
Night sweat no fever

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.