Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Penile yeast infection
Aug 30, 2009

Hello Dr. Bob,

I know that an unprotected Blow job only caries a very small risk, however, it has been about 8 months since, I tested negative at 5 weeks, (meaningless), and now I have a penile yeast infection (confirmed by my doctor). It comes and goes, and happens only after I have sex with my wife. I've asked her if she has a yeast infection, and she doesn't know. Could this be a symptom of immune defficiency due to infection, or can I be getting this from contact when I have sex with her? Please answer, donation to concerted effort to follow!

Worried in VA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried in VA,

Why worry and wonder about your HIV status (even after an extremely low-risk activity) when you could get a rapid HIV test and have a definitive answer in as few as 20 minutes?

You are correct: Unprotected insertive oral sex carries only a very slight risk of acquiring HIV.

Regarding your recurrent penile yeast infection, this isolated condition is not worrisome for HIV disease or other types of immune deficiency. Since it occurs after having sex with your wife, it's logical to assume you may be contracting it repeatedly from her. She should see her gynecologist for an evaluation.

As for your HIV worries, I can only assume that the blowjob in question did not involve your blushing bride. I'd suggest you confront your worries about this incident by getting a definitive HIV test and leveling with your wife. It's not only the best way to put your worries permanently to rest; it's also the right thing to do.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your conclusive HIV-antibody test is negative. I'm quite confident it indeed will be negative.

Finally, in order to break the cycle of fungal infections, you and your wife may need to be treated simultaneously.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
last pneumonia question you'll answer +donation...
Next
I BEG on my KNEES and ask your help...Will donate $50 and need your opinion on Reliability of Tridot (screen test) done in Mumbai, India. (PCR TESTS SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR ROUTINE HIV SCREENING, 2009

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.