Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV RISK AFTER 6 MONTHS FROM A NEGETIVE TEST
Aug 26, 2009

I sincerely need your help. Because I am worried very much. Because. I had posted a question in Yahoo. I have got a answer. The same I have added here. It is totally confusing. Please answer me. I WILL DONATE.

My question: am 30 years aged married man. I am not intrested and active in sex with outside girls except my wife. But first and last time in my life it happend. I had a exposure with a CSW about One year and 3 months ago. It was protected. But no guarenty in the protection. And also no idea about her HIV status. After the exposure I realy scared about HIV infection. After the incident 6 months I didnot sex with my wife. I had done HIV test at 1 month, 2 months, 3 months and 6 months period from the exposure. All the test results are negetive. I think 6 months test result gives accurate result. That I am not infected. After the six months result came out negetive, I am having sex with my wife only without using protection. Because we need baby. I belive I am not in risk? Can I do sex with my wife without using Condom? Please share your knowledge.

ANSWER RECEIVED: Incubation period of HIV - 2-4 weeks until seroconversion illness (if present) 2-10+ years ffrom asymptomatic to symptomatic infection/AIDS.

So, in clinical, you are not ABSOLUTE safe.

After 6 months from the contact, I'll do HIV / PCR Western Blot for confirmation on my patients. If negative, congrats.

No point doing HIV EIA. It's non-conclusive.

As to your wife, you ALREADY HAD sex with her. So no point asking. Already exposed. You don't have to check her blood. Just check yours is sufficent enough (unless she had sex with others).

The guy who answered to my question, mentioning that I am not conclusive still. What is real?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I can see why you were concerned after reading the response you received. It's both inaccurate and confusing! I'd suggest you stick with reputable HIV information Web sites like The Body for future questions, OK?

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion and misinformation.

1. You are HIV negative. Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive and conclusive. No additional testing is warranted.

2. The comment about HIV EIA is absurd. EIA is just a newer term for an ELISA. EIA is enzyme immune-assay. ELISA is enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. They both are qualitative tests to detect anti-HIV antibodies. A six-month negative EIA is indeed conclusive!

3. There is no such thing as a "PCR Western Blot." These are two different testing techniques measuring two completely different things. The Western Blot is an assay for anti-HIV antibodies. An HIV PCR (either RNA or DNA) assays for a piece of the viral genetic material.

4. I suggest you let the baby-making begin. All is well; including you!

Be well. Stay well. Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Good luck with the baby-making!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Availability of PEP
Next
Burning and swollen (donation made!)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.