Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

something to worry about or not
Aug 26, 2009

QUESTION: I was in bali and received unprotected sex from a sex worker one night while intoxicated. 2 days later i noticed a lesion on my penis and had flu like symptoms which both lasted about 4 days. soon as i got home to the states I went straight to the doctor for a herpes test, which in fact ended up being positive for HSV 1. My question is since I do not know the status of this person (hiv infected or not), what is the chance she may have passed on hiv as well? I've heard the receiver of the oral sex has a slim chance of being infected but, i may be wrong but if she was able to pass on HSV, she must of had an outbreak of some sort during the oral sex. I did not see any blood.

chain of events are as follows: June 6........unprotected sex June 8-11.....lesion on penis and flu like symptoms june 12-22....felt 100% normal june 23-july 1.... had a slight fever/headache then about the middle of july until right now i have these slight headaches occasionally and especially if i drink alcohol and minor muscle aches here and there throughout all parts of my body

could this headache be an ongoing symptom of the herpes, hiv,or some other weird balinesan disease, whats your opinion?

i just donated 30 dollars, this is a very insightful website and is very helpful. please respond i havent thought much about it but its been in the back of my mind.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'll be brief, because your post is similar to many others I've already responded to. (Check the archives!)

Unprotected insertive oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV acquisition. HSV is much more readily transmitted than HIV. Symptoms are unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. I do not believe you have a "weird balinesan disease." I would suggest you get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this Bali blow job. Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your conclusive three-month HIV test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Instant HIV test Conclusive?
Next
Please help me get some piece of mind

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.