Dr. Bob, Is something called PEP required for this situation? Help from Rochacha

I hooked up with another man last night. He pressed his penis against my rectal area....quite hard..and almost entered. He did have pre-cum (what little there may be) at the tip of his penis. I had asked him his status. He said he was unsure.

He put a condom on, continued with penetration (just briefly) and went limp. Pulled out..and took off condom. Is there any need for PEP?

Was the exposure to preseminal fluids around the rectal area substantial risk for the need to get tested or PEP? I understand this is a 'mucous membrane' area..and am quite concerned...especially if he may be HIV+. What do you think?

All is appreciated. I hope you get this soon.

JD in Rochester, NY

Hello JD in Rochester,

Assuming "almost entered" means his Mr. Happy did not get into your backdoor, your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible at best. Pre-cum "around the rectal area" would not be a substantial risk. Certainly PEP is not warranted. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from Mr. "Unsure of My Status."

As you may or may not know, Rochacha is my hometown. I was there having Abbott's custard a few weeks ago while also making final preparations to move my octogenarian parents from Rochester to California.

Good luck. Be well.

really worried (DISCLOSURE ISSUES, 2009)
Wild night in country town has me worried sick