The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob, Is something called PEP required for this situation? Help from Rochacha

Aug 25, 2009

I hooked up with another man last night. He pressed his penis against my rectal area....quite hard..and almost entered. He did have pre-cum (what little there may be) at the tip of his penis. I had asked him his status. He said he was unsure.

He put a condom on, continued with penetration (just briefly) and went limp. Pulled out..and took off condom. Is there any need for PEP?

Was the exposure to preseminal fluids around the rectal area substantial risk for the need to get tested or PEP? I understand this is a 'mucous membrane' area..and am quite concerned...especially if he may be HIV+. What do you think?

All is appreciated. I hope you get this soon.

JD in Rochester, NY

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello JD in Rochester,

Assuming "almost entered" means his Mr. Happy did not get into your backdoor, your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible at best. Pre-cum "around the rectal area" would not be a substantial risk. Certainly PEP is not warranted. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds remain all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from Mr. "Unsure of My Status."

As you may or may not know, Rochacha is my hometown. I was there having Abbott's custard a few weeks ago while also making final preparations to move my octogenarian parents from Rochester to California.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

really worried (DISCLOSURE ISSUES, 2009)
Wild night in country town has me worried sick

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint