Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected oral by POZ man days after finishing antibiotics for chalmydia
Aug 23, 2009

Dr. Bob, I love this site and all you do. I searched the archives but didn't see my question, so here goes...

Back on July 4th weekend, I went to a pool party (all gay men). After several drinks and a day of skinny dipping, things started to get a bit randy and I ended up getting a brief blowjob from one guy and a lengthier one by someone else. Neither guy's HIV status is known to me. A week later I started feeling a stinging in my urethra immediately after urinating. I called my doctor who had me leave a urine sample which he tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea. I was diagnosed with chlamydia, but was negative for gonorrhea.

I started a 7 day course of doxyciclene (sp) but it didn't seem to work. My doctor then put me on 1 gm azithromycin and 1 gm metrodinazole (sp). A week later, I still had some stinging and one or two episodes of discharge. My doctor had me come in to leave another urine sample (mycoplasma or ureaplasma suspected) and a blood draw (syphilis and routine HIV testing -- both of which came back as negative a few days later). Pulling out the big guns, my doctor then prescribed z-pack which I completed taking on a Thursday.

Each day after my final z-pack pill, I started feeling a little bit better. By Monday I was completely free of chlamydia symptoms (no sting, no discharge).

Fast forward three days to Thursday night (one full week after completing the z-pack): out with friends, met a nice guy and ended up going back to his place. I told him I had no interest in anything risky and he was cool with that. We just played around: some kissing and hand jobs. At one point, though, he leaned over and began sucking my penis. Having just gone through the chlamydia thing, I pulled away. It only lasted about a minute. After this episode, I found out he is HIV+.

I recognize that insertive oral is very very low risk, but would my recent chlamydia infection (hopefully cured) increase my risks? I called my doctor the morning after this incident and he said the risk was incredibly small. I asked about STDs increasing the transmission risk and he said that if I didn't have any of the chlamydia symptoms for several days, he saw no increase in the risk and that any treatment (PEP) would be way outside standard practice.

Thoughts?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I concur completely with the advice you received from your doctor!

Dr. Bob

Previous
a thank you
Next
Recovered worried well revisiting after 4 years!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.