Matching gifts to the Foundation (and a worried question)

Hi Dr. Bob: Donations to your wonderful foundation can be matched if anyone reading this forum works for a company that matches charitable contributions. Mine does and will match my donation to the foundation. I thought your readers might like to know that.Thanks for all your efforts in providing rational and calming advice.

My situation is that I had an encounter with a female sex worker on July 14. Protected vaginal intercourse (she provided the condom, which didn't break,but I don't know if it was latex). In same session also had unprotected oral sex, both giving and receiving (lunch at the Y). I also came in her mouth.

I know 3 months is the rule, and I will get tested then, but I did a Home Access test which was negative at 28 days and will do the six week test next week. Can you give me a read on my risk level? If I were to test negative at 6 weeks, is it likely I would then seroconvert between then and the 12 week mark? My symptoms have been mild - stress is enormous and my blood pressure is throught the roof! Your work is amazing and I am grateful for all the support. It would be great if you could offer some advice.

thanks!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low. Assuming the latex condom was used appropriately for the vaginal sex (and did not break), your risk would be limited to oral sex, which carries only a very low HIV-transmission/acquisition risk. As for whether the condom was latex (or polyurethane), most sex workers understand the principles of safer sex far better than their clients do! (After all, it's their job and they are the "professionals," right?) Consequently I feel it's safe to assume the condom was latex or polyurethane.

Any HIV-negative test is encouraging. Most HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood (which means they will test HIV positive) within four to six weeks after HIV primary infection. Consequently a negative six-week HIV antibody test is very encouraging, but not conclusive. That said, however, it is not "likely" that someone would seroconvert between their negative 6-week and their definitive 12-week HIV-antibody test.

Thank you for reminding everyone about corporate matching gifts. Many companies will indeed match charitable contributions to non-profit foundations with tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status. The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation already receives a number of matching gifts and it's a wonderful way to double your gift and help the foundation with its mission to provide crucial services for men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS throughout the world and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education. (The foundation's Tax ID number is 77-0517376).

Thank you for your donation (and the matching gift!) to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. In return I'm sending my good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive 12-week HIV-antibody test remains negative. I'm very confident it will.

Good luck!

Two guys materbating
Can PEP meds mimic ARS? (PEP AND THE NEED FOR HIV SPECIALIST, 2009)