Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom in Car
Aug 18, 2009

Hi Dr. Frascino.

First allow me to say my previous sexual encounter was May 10 of this year. This last Wednesday (August 13), I went in for my 90-day HIV screening - nice and negative. Or as you might say, "Whoo Hoo!"

Someone new Ive been dating and I finally decided to take the sexual plunge a couple of weeks ago. We used condoms every time, being my standard practice and apparently hers too. One of the condoms I used, though, had been in my car for a couple of months prior, from maybe June on. For the time of night my friend and I were together, replenishing stock wasn't possible, so we chanced it (my faulty logic being using one made more sense than not). I inspected the condom, it seemed fine.

I had in fact pulled out before ejaculation each time too, just as an extra "safely measure." Before tossing the condom in question out, I filled it with water - no leaks, no tears.

So my question succinctly is this: how dumb was it using a condom that had not been kept not in a recommended room temperature environment? The condom was well within its recommended use-by date, FYI. Should I be concerned about another 90-day screening, barring my girlfriend getting her test (hopefully soon)? Or should I take a deep breath and relax.

My health care advisor told me the latter, stating condoms, if made by a reputable company (as this one was) are surprisingly durable, so while not advised to keep one in weather extremes, Im probably OK.

Your opinion has been trusted, Id very much like to know your take.

Thank you again.

Take care.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Heat can denature latex increasing the likelihood the condom will fail (break). Yours did not and consequently I see no cause for concern.

I'll repost below one of my favorite posts from the archives dealing with condom storage.

Be well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

manbag condoms Jul 6, 2006

Hey Dr. McHandsome,

I'm about to enter into the sexually active period of my life.I'm 25 and I can't wait to impress the ladies with my wit and fashion! I'm writing because I'm concerned about carrying condoms in my pocket or wallet. Should i carry them in my man-bag instead or would that be too ticky-tacky?

Thanks for your prompt repy,

Sincerely yours,

Sergio-Gaylord

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You refer to me as Dr. McHandsome; you're 25 but only now about ready to enter into the sexually active period of your life; you expect to impress ladies with your wit and fashion; you carry a man-bag and your name is Sergio-Gaylord????? Whoa! There are so many rainbow flags waving in that message that it's only one penis Popsicle away from a Gay Day parade.

Dude, first off, when someone mentions man-bag on this site, I think scrotum.

To answer your question, condoms can be comfortably carried in your pockets or attaché case or stored for handy use in your nightstand "goody drawer."

Next, you may well be as straight as a lawn dart, but the tone of your post makes me wonder if you could bottom for Liberace. Either way, of course, it's fine with me. I just want you to be safe and sexually content and never-ever ticky-tacky.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Azithromycin
Next
I need your opinion. Semen, finger injury and oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.