I ended up spending the money...

Hi. Dr. Bob,

Even after you were gracious enough to respond to my question from July 26th, "Before I spend the money...", I ended up taking a bDNA pcr and another HIv 1/2/0 icma and Hiv-2 Ab tests anyway. Neg on all, the bDNA <75 (which is the ref range and stated no numerical Response based on not being able to quantify...etc something to that effect. Soooo, that's now 52 neg Elisas, 3 neg nat's; 1 neg proviral dna pcr,1 neg pcr rna and 1 neg bDNA pcr. That's a lot of testing over a 20 month period. I'm still googling eye floaters and white tongue but self diagnosing isn't working. I think I just need to accept that I'm Negative(Pleeeease). What do you think? Wooooohoooo despite my symptoms? I am tired of this way of living and if I end up turning Pos based on the exposure from Dec '07, I'll be soooo pissed. Anyway, thanks so much for all Your advice(even though I didn't follow) and reassurances. You're just a real good guy and you're blessed. Take care.

Hmm . . . 52 negative ELISAs, 3 negative NATs, 1 negative proviral DNA PCR, 1 negative PCR RNA and 1 negative bDNA PCR over a 20-month period? OK, I'm sending both the folks from the Guinness Book of World Records and the folks from Ripley's Believe It Or Not over to your place right away.

My assessment and advice remain exactly the same. Stop wasting time, energy, blood and money. You need the help of a psychiatrist, not more HIV tests.

Before I spend the money... Jul 26, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

You were gracious enough to answer my question June 9th "Have you ever seen..." And I reaaly do appreciate it. Briefly, my Exposure was licking my finer after fingering a stripper runored to be hiv+ Since I wrote last I did take an additional 5 elisas (hiv1/2) and one nat-pcr-rna That's a total of 50 elisas, 1 pcr-dna, 3 nats and 1 pcr-rna qual over 19 months Since the above mentioned exposure. I really need to move on for my family's sake and My own mental health but can't. These floaters are driving me mad and my tongue gets really thickly coated at times. I also think my bodyu shape is changing. I saw someone in a similar situation and Dr. Conway recommended a bDna just in case the rare Possibility of a false neg pcr. He also told them to get a CD4 count to check cellular immune system, if all neg then clear "maybe". What should I do? Spend the money on the bDNA test? You said not to get the CD-4 but getting an increase in floaters 4 months after my exposure is way too coincidental. Please help me and God Bless you for all the work you do on thsi site but also for your Foundation And other charitable good deeds. Your good Karma must be maxed out by now! Take care and please reply. Thanks

Fifty negative ELISA tests, one undetectable quantitative PCR RNA viral load, one undetectable qualitative PCR proviral DNA, three undetectable NATs, all out to 19 months from essentially a non-exposure??????? Dude! Your finger-lickin'-good sexperience at the Badda Bing didn't even warrant one HIV test let alone the staggering number you have taken. You've now wasted more money on completely unwarranted HIV testing than the entire economy of three sub-Saharan African countries combined. Stop testing. Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop. STOP!!! I can't say it any clearer than that. Dr. Conway would absolutely agree with my recommendation. You need a psychiatrist, not more HIV tests. You are correct to worry about your "mental health." I once again urge you to get the psychiatric help you need, not additional HIV tests that you absolutely do not!

Have you ever seen....???????? Jun 9, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

Hope all is going well with you. The biggest irony I see on this site is the compassion, graciousness and patience from a man battling the very disease that most people writing here and freaking out about don't even have. I'm one of them and you've answered my questions in the past. I'm trying to put closure on an experience I had back in Dec. '07. "Essentially nonexistent" is how you described it (licking my finger after masturbating a stripper thought to be hiv+). The series of tests I've had to date are a total of 45 elisas (varied types, ie. Home access, oraquick rapid finger prick and oral, Orasure, Lab run elisas, rapid uni-gold) in addition to a pcr-dna at 7 mos, pcr qualitative (to 400 copies), two nats at one year and 16 months. All have been negative. Last test last week (home access - neg at 18 months). I should have been Woo Hooing awhile ago right? Wrong! I still have floaters and my tongue looks really white at times. These past 18 months have taken a toll and although I'm close to accepting my negative status, I feel if I let go, a year or years from now I'll be hit with a whammy of late seroconversion, rare type, etc. How do I close this? Should I get a CD-4 count test to see if my immune system is ok?I've heard the longest recorded seroconversion was 42 months, I'm marking that as my new time line to get to but this way of living sucks!! Any suggestions? God Bless and looking for one last bit i

Forty-five negative ELISAs??? Two negative NATs? One negative DNA PCR and one negative RNA PCR? These tests have been taken over an 18-month period after you licked your finger after fingering a stripper. Dude!!! Exactly what part of "no risk" and "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding? Your outrageous number of repeatedly negative HIV tests is definitive, conclusive and extremely excessive!

You are wondering what to do now because you still can't believe the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence you do not have HIV. The answer is to get psychiatric or psychological help. Your fears are completely irrational and totally unwarranted.

Should you get a CD4 count to see if your immune system is OK? No, of course not. Rather, you should climb up on the shrink's couch for some psychotherapy!

Stop testing. Stop wasting money, blood and resources. Get the psychiatric help you need, not more tests that you don't!

"Worried Mommy" who emailed yesterday says nevermind!
traumatized and scared