Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV 2 PCR
Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

I am confussed. I went to my doctor after a low risk (receptive blow job) exposure and she did a HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibody at 5 weeks after exposure. She also for some reason ordered a HIV-2 PCR. All of the results came back negative. I called to ask about if she had run a HIV-1 PCR and she said that there was no such of test, and not to worry I have nothing to worry about. My question is if a HIV-2 PCR was run would it detect HIV-1 which is more common in the U.S than HIV-2. Why would she order an HIV-2 PCR? This makes no sense to me. Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Actually I think it's your doctor who is confused! She clearly does not seem to understand the difference between HIV-1 and HIV-2! She ordered the wrong test! In fact her decision to order HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibody tests at five weeks was also misguided, because HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive.

I would suggest you fire your doctor and find one who is more competent.

Following a low-risk exposure, the only test you need is a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr Ronald Mitsuyasu reply to gene therapy trials
Next
Guillotine My Penis- its the only way

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.