The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex with a canker sore (donation for answer)

Aug 12, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

About 36 hours ago I performed unprotected oral sex (I was the receptive partner) on a partner of unknown status. He said he was HIV- but that doesn't mean much now does it. Well, as a result of too much alcohol I decided to give this guy a BJ. At the time I had a canker sore that was basically on it's way to healing up. It didn't hurt for 2 days prior to the incident, so I don't think it's exactly an open wound. There was no ejaculate except for the possibility of precum. Is this a high enough risk to seek medical treatment for possible HIV exposure including a course of PEP. I only ask because my doctor wont be able to see me prior to the 72 hour cut off of starting a preventative course of antivirals. This would mean an ER visit which would be nonsense unless I have a really high risk.

Thank you so much for the help!

Response from Dr. Frascino


PEP would not be indicated. It is warranted for significant HIV exposures. If you remain worried, a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all I would recommend.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation ( It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive HIV test is negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Strange Results Follow up info
Penis Plotzed

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint