The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Inconclusive results on multiple blood tests.

Aug 10, 2009


I am mildly concerned about a couple of 'inconclusive' HIV tests that I just had. I have been with the same partner (my wife) for over 11 years and the last time I was with someone else sexually was almost 12 years ago. Both my wife and I have had STD tests in the past because we are in the middle of doing IVF. 3 years ago my test was negative, but in the past month, I was tested again (standard to do every few years) and I have gotten two inconclusive tests.

Should I be concerned that something in my past (albeit I have always practiced safe sex before my wife, and I do not do drugs) is coming back to haunt me? Or has it been too long and these 'inconclusive' tests have to do with something else?

Response from Dr. Frascino


If you've had no HIV exposures and tested HIV negative 3 years ago, then your chances of being HIV infected now are nonexistent. There are many reasons for indeterminate HIV test results. You can read about these in the archives of this forum. To sort out your inconclusive results I would suggest you get a qualitative HIV DNA PCR. This test is not recommended for routine HIV screening, but it can be helpful in situations where the results of the routine HIV-antibody tests are unclear. Based on your history and past negative tests I'm quite confident you are still HIV negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV Risk for bareback topping
Contact lenses????

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint