Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newlywed has one last Question- I promise!
Aug 9, 2009

Dr. Frascino, I have one last question I promise. I will dbl my donation to the foundation. And dont worry I have an appointment for a psychiatrist this month. I have ocd,and a fear of hypodermic needles. I went camping this wkend and family wanted to go to beach-the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I've gone every year but this time my phobia is overwhelming. Had my husband carry me on his shoulder from the cement to a beach chair (pretty far!)- making sure I never had contact w the sand. After carrying me back and forth he got tired, also my family started whispering about me, which made me upset. So, I got up off the chair and walked across the sand back to the street, wearing my puma shoes, like sneakers, all closed in, but not with really thick rubber soles or anything, and part of where the arch is is mostly leather, not rubber there. Is there any chance that a needle could be under the sand and poked through my shoe and sock into my foot? Is there any documented infections from needles on the beach causing infections? Maybe it could graze the side of the foot as well? I know it is unreasonable to have people carry you on the beach and if I don't face it, it may get worse. I feel like this was a risk, since there seem to be drug users there. This makes life miserable. Is walking on the w closed shoes on a beach a risk at all to me? There was no blood in my sock and I don't recall feeling it really, maybe sand or itches when i walk in sand. My family walked around barefoot!!!!! Please let me know what you think as the anxiety is completely off the charts. Is there a zero chance w shoes? Could it puncture the shoe? Would the needle have been stuck in there? Thank you such much. I love the work you do and appreciate it! God Bless you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is exactly zero! That's right: zip, zilch, nada, bupkis! Any chance you can move that psychiatrist appointment up a bit?

Dr. Bob

Previous
ooooo pick me pick me!!! 4th time post
Next
Early HIV Symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.