your friend Dr Ron Mitsuyasu is doing great work for HIV

Hi Dr Robert, l think you are the smartest funnist guy in the world, and not to mention the lives you save every day with your spot on advice, you are my hero......

Dr Bob l would like to start a new gene therapy trial with Dr Ron Mitsuyasu at UCLA could you please tell me what l can do to get involved in clinical trials,

also Dr Bob how safe are the new gene therapy trials ???

please keep up the great work you do for us hivers....

take care

Ronnie

The results of the OZ1 stem cell gene therapy phase II clinical trial were exciting and encouraging in equal measure. Dr. Ron Mitsuyasu at UCLA is an excellent HIV/AIDS/oncologist physician specialist who has been conducting cutting edge immune-based HIV research for quite some time. (He's also a good friend of mine!) His comment that this study is "the first clear indication in a randomized and controlled study that there is a biological effect of gene therapy" for HIV should help in getting funding and approval for additional HIV-related gene therapy clinical trials. This study was encouraging but not a "homerun," as the treatment group only experienced a "modest decline" in HIV plasma viral load. However, there was evidence that the treatment group had sustained (out to 100 weeks) strengthening of a number of immune parameters. This type of immune-based therapy is exactly what's needed, in my opinion, to work with our antiretrovirals (or ideally in place of the antiretrovirals!). As for when this type of therapy will be read for primetime, unfortunately even Professor Trelawney's crystal ball can't predict. What we can say is that it's still quite a ways off (years). However, for now we should celebrate a major step forward with a big collective WOO-HOO!!!

I'll keep you posted on this as other promising treatment stories continue to evolve.

Be well Pat! Let's all be here for the cure, OK?

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your kind comments. To find out more about currently enrolling gene therapy clinical trials you should contact one of the research sties where the clinical trials are being conducted. As with any research clinical trial there are risk involved. To learn more about the risks involved in a specific clinical trial you'll need to review the protocol you are interested in with one of the clinical investigators. I would suggest you contact the HIV/AIDS clinical trials division at UCLA. They will have much more complete information on the OZ1 stem cell gene therapy clinical trials than I have. If you do wind up seeing Dr. Mitsuyasu, please give him my warmest regards!

Oooooo pick me pick me!!! 4th time post
ID doctor, PCF, Nurologist, Urologist and two ~5 - 5.28 month hiv tests (Orasure and EIA) say negative but still symptoms