Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

****An old friend needs ur good luck karma and advice (ur friend and personal poet)
Aug 7, 2009

Hello there my dear brother and friend. It has been a while since I wrote u even though I come from time to time to check ur page and check that u r ok. I am ur Egyptin friend that wrote u a poem about 3 years ago and u helped me before and got a wooohoooooo stamped by u. I hope u r in good health and u r always on my mind Dr. Bob. Basically I will make this brief, since my divorce about 1 year and a half ago I dated very few women, had very few sexual encounters (I am a straight 30 male), always used a latex condom from start to finish with a lot of lube and no exceptions (except for a few oral encounters). I always pick who I do that with so I don't sleep around or do one night stands. Back in January of this year I was the insertive partner in vaginal sex and didnt have lube that day, unfortunately i always use magnums but that was an ultra thing durex and it broke (I always check the condom every minute or so), I was in doggy position (but in the vagina)and felt the sensation different so I pulled out, I would say I have been inside here unprotected approximately 20 to 40 seconds at most. I pulled out and went immedietly to wash with warm water and lots of soap (I am circumsized and she was pretty much dry so not a lot of secretions), she also had hydrotantitis supertiva if that makes a difference, we didnt continue sex, she finished me with unprotected oral. The female was 31, white, divorced, she was a friend and I know she doesnt sleep around. she assured me she is ok and I made sure I ask before we even did anything if she has or ever had an std or hiv and she said no and she kind of got offended thinking i was calling her a slut, she said she got tested in november of 2008 and last time she had sex was protected and in july of 2008. I was going to move on however a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with molluscum on my pubic region, one on my stomach and small ones on the base of my penis. I freaked out and started thinking about it. I built up the courage and went to get a full std panel and hiv test (yesterday) at my family doc., i have an appointment this wednesday to go over results. I saw a dermatologist who froze most of my molluscum (they were really small), she informed me that i can still get them easily even if i always use condoms since it is skin to skin contact. Based on this scenario, do u think I will test positive? the folks in aidsmeds.com said they never seen a man test hiv + after one brief condom failure exposure during vaginal intercourse and I am not going to be the first. I need ur expert opinion on that, and please i need ur good luck karma as well. You really think I will be ok? I have been 100% safe except got this incident but I have learnt my lesson. I love you Dr. bob and I wish u good health and a long life full of good deeds and helping millions of people.

sincerely,

ur egyptian friend,,,,,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Egyptian Friend,

I concur with the assessment and advice you've received. Molluscum contagiosum is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. HIV is not. Consequently Molluscum is far easier to contract than HIV.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is low. You had 20-40 seconds of unprotected exposure following a failed-condom incident. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this one-time very brief exposure. A single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark will give you a definitive result. I'm sending my good-luck karma that your conclusive HIV-antibody test remains negative. I strongly suspect it will.

Be well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RISK OF UNPROTECTED SEX WITH AN HIV POSITIVE PARTNER
Next
new reality guy is right

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.