occupational exposure to body fluids

I was splashed in the eye at work yesterday with bloody pleural fluid. The pt tested negative on the rapid HIV test. I was wondering how likely it is that the pt is in the window period for HIV and my chances of contracting it. My employee health nurse tells me I don't need to be retested. I am 10 weeks pregnant and am very anxious b/c I plan on nursing my baby. I would like to know my risks and if I should be retested. Thank you.

The chances your patient was within the window period and transmitted HIV to you via an occupational splash of bloody pleural fluid into your eye is extremely remote. However this was a potential occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens. Consequently a repeat HIV test at the three- and/or six-month mark could be indicated primarily for your peace of mind. I do not believe you have anything to worry about from an HIV perspective.

Condom failure
Worried Mom