Scared in Atlanta...need your help...donating to the cause

Dr. Bob:

Please help me. I am recently divorced and just started dating. I was on a business trip last week and met someone on line. We met for drinks and went back up to my hotel room. Stupidly, we had unprotected vagnial sex for about 2 minutes before I ejactulated (I know, but its been a long time since I had sex). I cant believe I did it without using a condom. She is from Europe and only been in the US for a few years...that is all I know about her. I am now terrified that I could be infected. I have developed a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes 7 days after our encounter. My doctor said its too late for me to do PEP but he suggested a DNA by PCR test at 14 days post exposure. My questions are:

1) is it likely I have HIV from this one night stand, and 2) do you recommend the DNA test at 14 days?

I dont think I can stand to wait 3 months to do an antibody test..I would go insane waiting.

Please help. I am donating to your very worthwhile cause.

Thanks for all you do.

1. No, it is not "likely" you acquire HIV from your two-minute unprotected nookie with your mysterious online gal-pal. However, it's not completely impossible either. Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV.

2. PCR testing (DNA or RNA) is not recommended for routine HIV screening due to the rate of false positives, other technical considerations and cost. The best HIV-diagnostic test remains the HIV-antibody test taken three months or longer from the date of potential exposure.

The three-month window period can be stressful. To help with the anxiety you could consider counseling (psychotherapy) or possibly anti-anxiety mediations if needed. I also recommend volunteering some of your time to those in desperate need: an AIDS hospice, children's cancer ward, etc. Aside from helping those in need, these kinds of compassionate activities help put our problems in their proper perspective. In addition, I'd also recommend you spend some time reading through the archives of this forum. You should find the information and testimonials reassuring and enlightening.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.

HIV Rapid Test
BET YOU WON'T ANSWER THIS ONE!!!!!!!