HIV Rapid Test

Robert, Thanks for all you do in the realm of HIV-your comments and expertise have put many worried minds to rest. Now for my turn :-) After searching forums, I was unable to answer my specific question. My boyfriend and I were just recently tested for HIV via the Clearview HIV 1/2 STAT-PAK; my results came back negative, however, his came back with what we were told "dots that were along the line where a positive reaction would occur". The practitioner told us both that she had never seen this before in her years of testing. I requested another Rapid test to be done-due to the first one being what I thought should be labeled inconclusive-and that test came back negative. Nonetheless, she still considered the first test to be a "preliminary positive" and ordered a western blot. The results of the WB come back in a week and am wondering if you could answer a few questions. 1.) Do you think my boyfriend is HIV negative given the second negative rapid test? 2.) Was the practitioner correct in ordering a WB, when the results of the first test came back as "dots" (a.k.a. something the practitioner has never seen before), but the second rapid that followed was negative? Any other information you would like to add would be very helpful. Thanks. Hugs from the both of us.

1. Most likely yes. I have no idea what "dots that were along the line where a positive reaction would occur" means. However, since a follow-up rapid test was done immediately after the one with the questionable results and was found to be negative, this would indicate your boyfriend is HIV-negative, not "preliminarily positive."

2. Personally I would not have ordered the Western Blot. (I'm confident the result will return as negative.)

Hugs back to you both. Don't worry. I'm very confident all will turn out well.

Be well.

having sex with a person who is HIV
Scared in Atlanta...need your help...donating to the cause