Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need to calm down
Aug 4, 2009

Hey.

I live in the UK. I had an HIV test and it was negative after 13 weeks and 2 days.

The UK guidelines say 3 months is completely 100% conclusive. I know the CDC say 'some people in rare cases' may take 6 months.

According to a adviser in England, those 'some people - 1 in 1000' may be people on PEP drugs or people with an immune defect or on very strong medication like chemotherapy.

What do you think?

I came into contact with what I assumed to be dry blood. It had been dry for at least 1 min 15 secs before it was near my wound. I have heard that once blood is dry - whether it dries rapidly in a few seconds or dries slowly the virus IS dead.

Is that correct?

Help me, Dr Bob :)

Dan

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Dan,

Your HIV-acquisition risk was nonexistent. HIV does not survive outside the body in dried blood.

I would consider a negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (defined as the first three months after exposure) to be definitive and conclusive, barring any extenuating circumstances.

Dan, I absolutely agree with the title of your post. You need to calm down. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OK?

Yell WOO-HOO and stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
youppiiiiiiii hiv testtt finallyyyyyy
Next
HIV on ICE!?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.