Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing after possible symptoms of HIV
Aug 3, 2009

I notice so many guys on here freaking out because they had oral sex that a little fluid might have gotten into their mouths or something... well my sex really was risky, as risky as it gets. I got crazy for a period, and I barebacked with several guys... two of them I let cum in my ass.. one of them I rode for about a minute, but he didn't cum in my ass.... I'm wondering what my odds are. I know how crazy what I did was, and I totally regret it now, but I can't change it. Anyway, I had a non-productive cough that stayed with me about 3 1/2 weeks, getting better then worse, then better, etc. Before that I had a red like bump come up on my chest and I thought it was a pimple, but it has stayed there for about a month and a half or more now. I have had several little pimple like bumps come up and they seem to go away more slowly than normal. I also have had a sore throat off and on. Now I do also have seasonal allergies, but all of this together has me worried. I went to get the HIV test recently and it turned up negative, which is a huge relief. This test was conducted well into my cough and weeks after the bump had appeared on my chest. Now what I'm wondering is this: What are the odds that even after all of these symptoms I could still test negative for HIV even if I were infected? I read somewhere that such things if they are tied to HIV are signs of "sero conversion", so I should be more likely to test positive, right? Please give me some guidance here. I spent a week freaking out before my test, and now I want some idea of what the science is behind the test and whether I have the odds on my side. I am going to go for more testing in a few weeks, or what do you recommend? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Unprotected receptive anal sex is indeed risky business that places you at considerable risk for STDs, including HIV. That is the reason to get HIV tested. "Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

I would recommend an HIV-antibody test at the three-month period. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. A negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (without extenuating circumstances) is considered definitive. You can read much more about HIV tests on this site and in the archives. This forum has an entire chapter devoted to HIV tests.

Good luck and do wise up and never put yourself at such risk again, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Keep doing what you're doing
Next
Eating my fingers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.