Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV transmission through an inflammatory condition of the navel - elucidation
Aug 3, 2009

Dear Mr Frascino,

You wrote to me that my HIV acquisition risk is ''negligible''. What does this mean - should I get tested or not? What do you suggest? Please, elucidate. I have cognizance of your work-load, hence that is the last question I am asking you. Yours sincerely,

Nick

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Nick,

I do not feel HIV testing is medically warranted; however, if you have difficulty shaking your HIV fears, an HIV test may be helpful psychologically for peace of mind. I continue to recommend you have your navel problem surgically repaired.

Dr. Bob

HIV transmission through an inflammatory condition of the navel Aug 1, 2009

Dear Mr Frascino,

I am a correction officer and, due to self-injuries, fights etc, there is often blood in my working surroundings. Sometimes, I might have touched a small quantity, or traces, of blood without becoming aware of it. Besides, I have always had a little problem in the navel - it, often, gets irritated and sends off a malodorous liquid, like pus. I have been told that this is some kind of inflammation and that the navel has a little hole in it, leading to the interior of the belly. What troubles me is the possibility that a small quantity, or traces, of (fresh) blood has come into contact with my navel through the fingers - due to the fact that, sometimes, I put my finger in it when it is itchy. What happens if there was a small quantity of blood (up to a single drip because if there was more I would have noticed it) in my finger when I put it in the navel? Is that hole in the navel a gate of entrance, so to speak, for HIV? If so, is it tantamount to a mucous membrane/superficial cut or a deep cut? In short, should I get tested for HIV? I apologize if my worry is far-fetched or absurd. I haven't been able to find a relevant question in the Forum, so have the goodness to reply. Thank you very much in advance,

Nick from Greece

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Nick from Greece,

Your navel "sends off a malodorous liquid, like pus"????? Ick!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible. However, I strongly recommend you have your navel problem attended to without delay. Pus squirting belly buttons can be off-putting in general and a real mood killer if you happen to be having a romantic tumble between the sheets.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hepatitis Risk affecting HIV test results
Next
For the love of god please answer this foolish question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.