HIV transmission through an inflammatory condition of the navel - elucidation

Dear Mr Frascino,

You wrote to me that my HIV acquisition risk is ''negligible''. What does this mean - should I get tested or not? What do you suggest? Please, elucidate. I have cognizance of your work-load, hence that is the last question I am asking you. Yours sincerely,

Nick

Hey Nick,

I do not feel HIV testing is medically warranted; however, if you have difficulty shaking your HIV fears, an HIV test may be helpful psychologically for peace of mind. I continue to recommend you have your navel problem surgically repaired.

HIV transmission through an inflammatory condition of the navel Aug 1, 2009

Dear Mr Frascino,

I am a correction officer and, due to self-injuries, fights etc, there is often blood in my working surroundings. Sometimes, I might have touched a small quantity, or traces, of blood without becoming aware of it. Besides, I have always had a little problem in the navel - it, often, gets irritated and sends off a malodorous liquid, like pus. I have been told that this is some kind of inflammation and that the navel has a little hole in it, leading to the interior of the belly. What troubles me is the possibility that a small quantity, or traces, of (fresh) blood has come into contact with my navel through the fingers - due to the fact that, sometimes, I put my finger in it when it is itchy. What happens if there was a small quantity of blood (up to a single drip because if there was more I would have noticed it) in my finger when I put it in the navel? Is that hole in the navel a gate of entrance, so to speak, for HIV? If so, is it tantamount to a mucous membrane/superficial cut or a deep cut? In short, should I get tested for HIV? I apologize if my worry is far-fetched or absurd. I haven't been able to find a relevant question in the Forum, so have the goodness to reply. Thank you very much in advance,

Nick from Greece

Hello Nick from Greece,

Your navel "sends off a malodorous liquid, like pus"????? Ick!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible. However, I strongly recommend you have your navel problem attended to without delay. Pus squirting belly buttons can be off-putting in general and a real mood killer if you happen to be having a romantic tumble between the sheets.

Hepatitis Risk affecting HIV test results
For the love of god please answer this foolish question