Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE DR BOB WILL DONATE
Aug 1, 2009

Hello Dr Bob, From September08 till february09 I had 3 or 4(mutual masturbation) fingering and handjob episodes with S. worker. No penetration. Never had unprotected sex outside my marriage. On the last episode when I finished fingering washed my hands with soap than applied an Antiseptic ''Savlon'' only in the middle finger I was doing the fingering.(first time i used savlon) Hour later my finger started to have a strange reaction like burn - like/ pain. I ignored the symptoms but a month later I started to have nausea and vomiting episodes and was diagnosed with gastritis. So I started to panic thinking maybe I got hiv from the contact with the sex worker. I started meds (Nexium+ domperidone) and started to have also a rash in my chest, couldnt sleep, with insomnia, pain in heart, muscle stiffness, boils on my arms.The nausea and vomiting stopped for a while but today it started all again. Rash went away and comed back also now. I had these symptoms on and off for three months.

I have bad/dry cuticles and peeling skin that often hurts but it never bleeds. So I what if I had a small cut or sore on my finger that wasnt hurting( extenuating circumstance i wasnt aware) and what is I was HIV infected that way. Should i test?? or is it anxiety??? because these last month I couldnt sleep, with insomnia,racing heart, muscle stiffness and more... I tried to simulate the savlon again in my finger and i cant get the same reaction so now i am almost certain I had a sore or opened cut therefore the reaction. Today i was thinking of cutting the finger and apply the antiseptic to test the reaction...I am going crazy? Everywhere I look I think of HIV, and I fell like I have it. And the worst part is that feel very bad for cheating my wife, i m very dumb. Afraid to test....

But i do remember checking my finger and I didnt see any cut or blood so it would have to be a micro cut.

How can I donate with credit card?

Thank you You are doing a beatiful work

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible to nonexistent. Your symptoms are much more consistent with anxiety than HIV.

Do not cut yourself to try to replicate the experience. Yes, that would be a completely whacko thing to do!

I would advise the following:

1. Level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

2. Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark for peace of mind. The result will undoubtedly be negative. Being afraid to test won't change the results! It's time to man-up, grow a set and do what you know must be done! Get the test. You'll be glad you did. ("Trust me. I'm a doctor!")

3. Follow up with your general medical doctor regarding any ongoing symptoms.

4. Get help for your anxiety and depression. Counseling (psychotherapy) and/or medications (anti-anxiety and antidepressants) could help.

5. Review the wealth of information and many testimonials in the archives of this forum. You should find the information both enlightening and reassuring. We have entire chapters devoted to HIV sexual transmission, symptoms, strippers/lap dances/massage and many related topics.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. To donate by credit card just click the donate tab and fill in the required information. In return for your generosity I'm sending you my good-luck karma for a definitive three-month negative test. I'm very confident it will indeed be negative.

Good luck. Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV risk from dog bite same as needle stick?
Next
Night in Las Vegas,,let my guard down,,please Help Dr. Rob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.