Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv test result
Jul 29, 2009

i had an hiv test done and the results were repeatedly reactive. the form that i was given showed the abs-index at 1.16H. the wetern blot was negative and gp160,gp120,p65,p55,p51,gp41,gp40,p31,p24 and p18 were all listed as absent. the doctor(who seemed confused) simply said i was hiv positive and referred me. ive read conflicting reports on the western blot tests. can you advise me?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

A repeatedly reactive screening HIV test followed by a negative Western Blot is considered to be a negative HIV test! Your physician was indeed confused (to say the least)! I'm continually amazed that physicians can still be so incompetent in interpreting HIV test results! I'm confident (or at least very hopeful) that whomever you were referred to will quickly and definitively confirm your HIV-negative status. I also hope the referral doctor educates your doctor so that he won't make a similar anxiety-producing error in the future with another patient. You might also want to consider finding a more competent (or at least less confused) physician for your ongoing care!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV+ blood on two day old cut
Next
Please help me, I am lost here...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.