Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

who said 16 was sweet??
Jul 29, 2009

I'm learning about HIV in a sex ed class, now I'm terrified of getting it. I need your help and I will donate $20 through the mail (cash) I was moving some tables at work and noticed a dime sized drop of blood. It looked pretty dry but not sure. I have some paper cuts and i bite the side of my nails. If I touched this blood, and it was hiv, do i have a risk? I didn't notice any blood on my hand, but I didn't really "examine" my hands thoroughly, just a quick look. The blood must had been there at the very least, 20-30 minutes.

Thanks you so much for helping this newb kid that doesn't seem to know much :(

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey "newb kid,"

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. HIV doesn't survive outside the body. Plus, even if the blood was very fresh and even if it was HIV tainted, the chance you could have gotten it into your paper cuts or bitten nails is so extremely remote it becomes essentially nonexistent.

Sex education class is supposed to "educate" you not scare the bejesus out of you! Take some time to peruse the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on the related links. We have an entire chapter devoted to non-sexual HIV transmission that you should find both enlightening and reassuring in equal measure.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated. Stop worrying and start enjoying your "sixteen," which really is very, very sweet (and all to brief)!

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
You HAVE to post my woooooooooohoooooooooo for other worried wells!!!!!!!!
Next
Please Help :(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.