Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Antibody and RNA testing windows
Jul 26, 2009

I was contacted by a county health department worker and told I was "named" as a partner of someone who has tested positive and it has scared the hell out of me. They don't give you any information other than you were named so I have no idea of the timeframe they are talking about. What I do know, is I've only had unprotected sex with one person back in December 2008. I have had several antibody tests April, May, June and July 2009 all of which are negative along with a HIV-1 RNA Quantitation test (Roche Taqman assay) and the result was "Not Detected." Can I stop worrying?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If indeed your only potential HIV risk was December 2008 and you have had three negative HIV-antibody tests plus one undetectable quantitative HIV plasma viral load test out to July, 2009, yes indeed you can stop worrying, as these tests would be absolutely definitive and conclusive.

Anonymous partner notification systems for STDs can be alarming, but I'm all in favor of them! Letting folks know by any and all means that they have been exposed to HIV is essential to turning the tide on this pandemic. Anonymous partner notification facilitates the process because it can be done without fear of retribution or the embarrassing phone call conversation with an ex or current sexual partner. There are several online notification programs as well. (See below.)

Dr. Bob

How do I anonymously tell a partner I may have exposed him to an STD??? (INSPOT.ORG) May 5, 2009

Dr. Bob, HELP!!!! I did something stupid and now I've got syphlis!!!! I'm still waiting for my HIV test!!! What really worries me is that I've had sex with several friends and we sort of forgot to use a condom. But I know these guys really well and know they are healthy and usually play safe. I just can't tell them in person that I have syphilis and my health department wants to know my name. I don't trust them to keep the information confidential if I give them these guys names. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Too-Embarrassed-To-Tell-Them

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Too-Embarrassed-To-Tell-Them Guy,

You sort of forgot to use a condom???????? Hmmmmm.....Early Alzheimer's I presume, right? Otherwise I'm sure you wouldn't take such a risk. (Learning a lesson like this the hard way is indeed painful and I'm not only talking about the walloping dose of penicillin that's going to be injected into your butt, either! I'm hopeful your experience will make others think twice before "sort of forgetting to use a condom", even with friends.)

Actually there is a way to notify your contacts! Check out the Web site called InSpot.org. There you can send an anonymous e-mail to your sexual partners advising them they may have been exposed to an STD. Yes, it's truly anonymous and cannot be traced back to you. There are a variety of very simple messages to send. My favorite is "I got screwed while screwing, you might have too." Dr. Bob says, "Check it out!" Don't delay! Your contacts need to be told and treated ASAP!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Before I spend the money...
Next
Shelter + Donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.