Scared To Test

I had ARS symptoms 2-3 days following unprotected sex (haven't done it since). This was a year ago and I'm still too scared to get an HIV test. Only symptom Ive had since was an UTI infection (i know 1 year would be early). Medhelp says ARS can appear in days but you say 2-4 weeks? Can you please explain this? I will donate if you answer my question. (And yes I'll eventually get tested, though if I find I have HIV I'm more scared of how I'll react to be honest). Thanks. -S

Hello S,

You are missing the most important point. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The decision whether to worry and get tested should be based solely on HIV risk and not on the presence or absence of symptoms. You had unprotected sex and this places you at some degree of risk for HIV. Consequently HIV testing three months (or more) after the sexperience is warranted.

As for the symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome, these generally occur two to three weeks following HIV primary infection.

Stop procrastinating. It's time to man-up, grow a set and get tested. You'll be glad you did, whatever the results ultimately show. Remember, when it comes to HIV what you don't know can kill you. (See below.)

"What you dont know can kill you" and a further donation (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU) Jul 18, 2009

Hi Dr Bob I wrote you last week to say that after over a year of feeling really ill following some risky sexual behaviour - Shingles,chronic fatigue, joint aches, gum disease, rash etc etc, and being 100% convinced I had HIV I still couldn`t bring myself to get tested due to being in total fear of being positive until discovering your site and hearing your words "What you don`t know can kill you" over and over again in my head, which finally gave me the kick up the ass to get myself tested(twice)for HIV, which were thankfully both negative. However my story doesnt end there. After I received the negative tests and could discount HIV I, this week saw a specialist for a full physical and blood work. Yesterday he called me back in to do some strange blood tests and gave me an injection of some sort. Today I saw him again and have been diagnosed with something called Addisons Disease, a quite rare auto immune disease which thankfully can be treated. Whilst I`m not suggesting that worried people who think they hav HIV symptoms will also have it or anything similar, in my case it was only once I had taken the test and received a negative result that I felt able to get professional help for my real symptoms(not the imaginary ones brought on by the stress of thinking I had HIV). I just started thinking how many people are out there convinced they have HIV when they havn`t, and are not getting the peace of mind a negative result brings or who are not receiving treatment for other(real)illnesses. The specialist doc told me that undiagnosed, Addisons can be fatal but treatable now diagnosed. So Dr Bob in my case without your site and in particular your powerfull phrase "what you dont know can kill you" convincing me to get tested it could so easy have come much quicker than I thought and not because of HIV! I cant honestly thank you enough or tell you what a great job you all do and how powerful the advice given is. I will be making a further donation to express my sincere gratitude and hope that you convince many many more that if theres any risk or doubt, getting tested is really the ONLY course of action.

Thank you for your kind comments, for taking the time to write back and for sharing your experience with the readers of this forum. Hopefully your true-life testimonial of "what you don't know about HIV can kill you" will give many others a swift kick in the ass so they too will get tested.

The three primary reasons to get tested are:

1. If you are HIV infected you need monitoring and treatment. Otherwise HIV will kill you. Plus you may unknowingly transmit the illness to others.

2. If you are HIV negative, you'll be able to put your fears and anxieties to rest.

3. If you have another illness (Addison's, psychosomatic disease, Lyme's disease, etc.), you'll be able to get the treatment you need.

Thank you for your donations to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are urgently needed and warmly appreciated. Your one gift will touch many lives.

Be well!

Exhuming a body with HIV (RISK OF HIV FROM CORPSE OR CADAVER, 2009)
Please help????????