Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected vaginal sex with spermicide = less risk?
Apr 26, 2001

My partner and I would always use a condom during sex, except for one instance in which I was unprotected but my partner used an applicator to apply Nonoxynol-9, a spermicide, to the cervix area to prevent pregnancy. Additionally, I had never once ejaculated into her, as our condoms never broke and the one time I didn't use one, I pulled out before I ejaculated.

My partner had one other partner before me, and she has had a regular blood test or two since. He was considerably older than her, and their relationship circumstances weren't wonderful, but it has been a few months since she had that intercourse and she has shown no visible symptoms.

My first question is: Can a regular blood test turn up HIV-positive results, or do you need an HIV-specific test?

Secondly: Does Nonoxynol-9 have any preventive ingredient against transmission of HIV?

And finally, does semen have to enter a woman's vagina for transmission of HIV to take place?

Response from Mr. Kull

1) In order to learn your HIV status, you need to take an HIV antibody test. Regular blood tests (CBC) will not tell you whether or not you have been infected with HIV.

2) Currently, there is some controversy about the effectiveness of nonoxynol-9 (a spermicide that is used primarily to prevent pregnancy) in preventing HIV transmission. There is some evidence that N-9 may not only be ineffective in preventing HIV transmission, but also may INCREASE the risk of transmission. Many people tend to have an adverse reaction to N-9, causing irritation/inflammation of the genital mucosal lining which may increase the risk of transmission. The CDC currently recommends that N-9 be used as a contraceptive only and not for disease prevention. This recommendation is based on preliminary data, and is probably meaningful only for those at increased risk for infection (see response to "Spermicides" http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/PreventionSexual/Q11022.qna).

3) HIV infected ejaculate or pre-ejaculate needs to come into contact with a person's mucous membranes for HIV infection to be possible. Mucous membranes are located in the vagina, rectum, mouth, and urethra.

RMK

Previous
To Rub It In, As It Were
Next
HIV2 in Chicago?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.