Hebatitis B vacination and HIV Test (HEPATITIS B VACCINE AND HIV TESTS, 2009)

Dear Doctor,

I have just proceeded a donation and wondering how to do a blank donations to be directly withdrawn from my accounts quarterly, a small amount but feel to do it.

I have searched troughs your treads and did not find such subject posed previously.

I am 42 yrs olds healthy man from Spain live in Montreal. Recently I had a sexual relation with a woman I knew for a while but I do not know her Hiv status, although she said she is safe, but fear does not listen rationality. The nature of exposure was protected vaginal intercourse and unprotected oral sex. I was receptive and both she and I have healthy gums. There was mutual masturbation involved as well. I am separated from my family and now try to re unify with my family, but want to make sure I do not expose them a possible infection.

I have tested negative at 4th weeks for all possible sexually transmitted diseases including HIV all results were negative.

I have re tested for HIV at 6th weeks with Roche Elisa 3rd generations, and 7th weeks and 60 days after exposure with Abbott Hiv Combo test. Since you are suggesting 3 months marks as conclusive period, I have re gone clinics today. The Doctor was very upset at me and advised that after all these tests I have zero chance to be diagnosed positive and he sent me the nurse for Hepatitis B vaccination which he told me that was I need for now to be protected against hepatitis B in the future which seems to be common in Canada.

Today I was vaccinated for HBV, however, since to be re tested at 3 months mark still is in my mind, then another doubt came to my mind which is the HBV vaccination my happen false positive results in Hiv test. I need your help to clarify the following queries.

1. Please kindly advise if I really re need to be tested for the officially agreed period at 3 months ; 2. Whether HBV vaccination will cause false positive.

I do appreciate your help and admire you as all peoples who are and have been in this site.

Hermes

Hi Hermes,

1. Yes, a three-month HIV-antibody test is recommended if you want a definitive and conclusive result. I agree with the doctor that you've had way too many HIV tests already and that most likely you are HIV negative. Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low (mutual masturbation, unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex). However, current guidelines continue to state that HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not conclusive.

2. No. (See below.)

Regarding direct scheduled donations to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org), we set those up individually according to the donor's wishes. Please contact the foundation via e-mail at frascinoaidsfound@sbcglobal.net and we would be delighted to help you. In return I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative. I'm extremely confident it will. I also wish you the best of luck with your reunification endeavors!

Be well. Good luck!

Hepatitis vaccine & ELISA - confused, please help! Aug 8, 2004

Hello Dr. Bob,

First, I would like to thank you for providing such an incredible resource to the community. With all you have on your plate, its amazing you have time to do any of it, but please know it is appreciated... your candor, wit and expertise has made this whole ordeal (somewhat) bearable....

Now my question, which I cannot find an answer to in the archives. I am in my 15th week following a high risk exposure for which I was on PEP (condom failure vaginal insertive). I have taken tests at 8 weeks (ELISA & PCR-DNA) and 13 weeks (ELISA) - all negative. I remain a little worried because I have some lingering symptoms (the most significant being slightly achy (but not swollen) lymph nodes)

When I went to the Dr. today, he reviewed my bloodwork taken at the same time as the 13 week test and mentioned I had no immunity to Hep A or B. This concerned me because I was vaccinated against both 6 months ago for a trip I took. He told me he would do both then and there and I said OK. Two questions:

1. Should I be worried about the failure to produce antibodies to Hep A&B following the vaccine? (i.e. does this make me someone who is slow to produce antibodies?)

2. Because of my symptoms, I am planning to take another test at 17 weeks as recommended by some. Is there a chance that the Hep vaccines could cause a false positive on the ELISA I am taking in 2 weeks? (some sources indicate this could happen, but don't say how long one should wait after getting the vaccine).

Please help!

-confused & worried

P.S. - I really should have added a 3rd question that I cannot figure out - why is it that so many heterosexual men find you so attractive?? I have to admit, I'm guilty of the same, even though I am firmly in the hetero camp (nothing against it, I'm just not wired that way) Anyway, I'm sure Steve has nothing to worry about... I do, however, have some female friends who would love to get their hands on that "new cologne" you are talking about....

P.P.S - thanks for the handsigned note following my donation... you don't really sign all those yourself do you????

Thanks for your kind words.

To answer your specific questions:

1. No, you should not be worried. Failure to produce detectable antibodies following hepatitis vaccination can be related to many potential factors. I won't bore everyone with the details here, but I will mention it took me three sets of hepatitis B vaccines for it to finally kick in and work! What is important is to point out that failure to respond to hepatitis vaccines is not related to the body's ability to make antibodies directed towards an active infection (HIV infection, for instance).

2. No, hepatitis vaccinations will not alter HIV test results, inhibit the production of anti-HIV antibodies, or change the duration of the window period.

3. Maybe it's the new cologne, but in general gay Italian sexperts have always been popular at camp hetero.

You are very welcome for your hand-signed note. Yes, I do sign each and every one! (I fold them up, stuff them in the envelope, stamp and post them as well.)

Stay well. Your results to date are extremely encouraging!

Hep B and HIV Test... $100 donation Jun 15, 2009

I asked a question yesterday regarding possible exposure and testing but left one fact out.

I have chronic Hep B (get blood tested every 6 months). Does this impact HIV testing at all? If I'm infected with HIV, will this elevate my Hep B viral load?

I'm thinking of using the Home Access test and wondering if the Hep B has any impact.

Thanks for all of your advice to everyone and look for a $100 check from me in the mail.

1. Having chronic hepatitis B will not affect HIV testing accuracy or the duration of the window period.

2. HIV should not worsen your hepatitis B. In fact some treatments for HIV also treat hepatitis B.

3. Hepatitis B will not affect the accuracy of the Home Access test.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test is negative.

Good luck. Be well.

Three one-word answers please
lupus, Fibromyalgia, and HIV follow-up I went back anyways!