about a year

Hi Dr. Frascino, Thanks in advance for reading this and for your generous help to everyone on this forum.

Last summer, I slept with about 10-15 different women (but all protected vaginal sex - I am male). On one episode, in heat of the moment, I licked one Vagina for maybe 20 seconds or so. I realized what I was doing, and felt disgusted. This occurred at a massage parlor. Over the past 10 months, *knock on wood*, I have felt fine health-wise and never got tested.

Recently, I was married and love my wife. But this episode from last summer still haunts me and is driving me nuts. What do you feel about my chances? With my wife have been using a condom with the exception of one time, and that to for about 1 minute. We do engage in oral.

I read many Government Sites, and they scare the crap out of me saying that the slightest act can spread this disease. I read your responses, and it seems like it is harder to spread then what the common man imagines. I am confused - I am sure several hundreds of millions of people engage in the above acts...and it it were so easy to spread, wouldnt half of the world be wiped out by now?

Unrelated question: How come HIV is so much more prevalent amongst Africans and Latinos, as opposed to Asians? Genetic or just education/ignorance?

The risk of HIV acquisition from a 20-second lick of the hooker's (oops, I mean masseuse's) Bermuda Triangle would be negligible assuming there are no extenuating circumstances. You can read about these extenuating circumstances and the estimated per-act statistical risk associated with cunnilingus in the archives of this forum. Although this risk is indeed remote at best, if indeed your worries are haunting you and the government sites are scaring the bejesus out of you, why not just get tested? A simple HIV-antibody rapid test will give you your definitive answer in as few as 20 minutes! The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Regarding your unrelated question, this is a complex socioeconomic problem. Yes genetics, education (or lack thereof), prevalence rates, access to health care, clean needle exchange programs and a variety of other factors all come into play. I could write a thesis on this topic. Many of these issues are covered in the archives. Have a look!

side effects of HIV antiviral medications
It's been a while!