Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DR. BOB, WHERE ARE YOU??, REALLY WORRIED BOSTONIAN!!
Jul 20, 2009

Hello my dear friend Dr. Frascino. I wanted to tell you that i tested negative months ago, 6+ months after last dumb unprotected sex, but i havent stopped living as if i were virally enhanced. Yup, i feel as positively charged as it gets. I get out/in to bed every day/night sad. Maybe its because i read so much about hiv and false negatives and got so caught up in it that i now have the mind and soul of an HIVer. I have tried convincing myself that i dont have it, but it doesnt seem to be working. I started saving for a PCR but i realized that im going to be worried about a false negative too. I know mental counseling is not your field but... do you think a shrink could put an end to this?? or any other suggestions?? Thank you for your time and... you should come to Boston sometime, we would certainly love to have you here, this world could use a few more guys like you. Marcus

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Marcus,

Where am I? Well at the moment I'm at 38,000 feet in a pressurized metal tube winging my way from San Francisco to New York. So I'm somewhere over all those red square states in the middle of the country.

Marcus, "living as if you were virally enhanced" and actually being virally enhanced are two very different things! Your negative HIV-antibody test six-plus months after your "dumb unprotected sex" is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV-related tests (including PCR) are warranted. Your problem is not HIV but rather "fear" of HIV. You need treatment for these totally irrational and completely unwarranted fears. Yes, a shrink is an excellent idea.

As for coming to Boston, I've been there many times in the past, but it's not on my travel agenda for the next few months.

Be well Marcus.

Dr. Bob

Previous
woohooooooooooooooo.. I should trust you before!!!
Next
Very anxious resident...please please answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.