Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

wisdom teeth and cunnilingus
Jul 17, 2009

hello,

I performed cunnilingus on a girl who i believe could be infected with HIV and i know that many people have asked this question and the answer has always been that cunnilingus has a very low risk. But is the risk higher if my wisdom teeth are coming out? They never bleed, but their just coming out very very slowly. And also can cigarretes irritate your throat to the point where it bleeds and poses a higher risk for HIV transmission? because that night i smoked alot of cigarretes, which is something my throat is not used to since i dont smoke all the time. Now it has been 3 weeks since possible exposure and during the second week i developed a sore throat that hasnt gone away and also 3 days ago i started experiencing headaches ( more like pain in the lower part of my head). So did all this gave me a higher chance for infection? and during which week after possible exposure do you recomend i should get tested?

Thank you for your time

Worried Soul

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Soul,

I'll be brief as I've covered all of this information many times previously (check the archives!).

Unprotected cunnilingus carries a very low risk for HIV acquisition. However, the risk may be increased by extenuating circumstances, such as the presence of menstrual blood, open sores, concurrent STDs, bleeding wounds, etc. Wisdom teeth that are not bleeding would not increase the risk. Cigarette smoking would not increase the risk. However, cigarette smoking will indeed kill you in a very painful and undignified fashion. I strongly advise you quit immediately.

If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A question about residency and HIV
Next
Got Herpes at the base

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.