HELP!!! Can I be the first?!?!

Dr.Bob,

I will skip all the emotional stress behind the exposure and try to give you just the facts. I went to a massage parlor and received a handjob from the girl working there. I did not notice any cuts on her hand or profuse bleeding or anything like that. She used a ton of massage oils to massage me. I have jock itch (or eczema, just some sort of red rash with scaly skin) on my scrotum. I don't think I had any cuts at the time either. We did not have sex at all! It is about 9 days since the encounter and I have been having joint pains and muscle aches that I have never experienced before. I still have this weird feeling in my elbow where it kind of burns when you touch it. I have also had tingling in my fingers as well. Could I be the first person to get HIV through a handjob?!?!?! So here are my questions,

Are these symptoms suggestive of HIV infection? Can you even get HIV this way? Am I at risk?

Thanks Doc, I'll try to donate to your fund out of my generosity not by my guilt. Thank you.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. The "symptoms" you describe are not suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome.

To address your specific questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

I'd suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site and in its archives focusing on exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. You should find the information very reassuring.

Bottom line: are you "the first"? Nope. No how. No way! Be well.

Lupus, Fibromyalgia, and HIV
A question for humanity (BEING POSITIVE ABOUT BEING POSITIVE, 2009)