Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your Science-based website has convinced me I have HIV
Jul 6, 2009

I have a science and engineering background and I agree that nothing happens (biologically or scientifically) without a cause, as Dr. Bob would say. Since the data you give is scientifically based, I chose your site thebody.com to help me analyze what was happening to my body. While initially your website was a comfort while I went through my nightmare of symptoms (still present 1.5 yrs after exposure) it has now totally confirmed my diagnosis. It appears that even you guys the experts cant even agree on definitive testing in the presence of an infectious disease such as Hiv. After 17 years of abstinence, excellent health and a fitness buff I find myself living a nightmare after an impulsive exposure one night with a dirty-hoar. After which I hoped did not lead to any consequence. I did not feel anxiety over the issue at first and thought lots of people have moments of sexual exploration and are fine. But then the disease slowly made itself known, the fevers/chills for weeks, sudden change in vision during the fevers, weakness, body aches, extreme headache, chronic stiff neck, meningitis like symptoms, then the diarrhea began; severe for a week but still present 1.5 years later. Although the frequency has decreased have NEVER had a normal bowel movement since (Hivs attack on the immune cells in the gut, I learned from your site) low CD4 counts, vision problems neurological problems (pins and needles), tinnitus and stiff neck. Even you guys know that there is only one STI that presents itself like this. Not syphilis, not HPV, not Herpes, not, Chlamydia, not Trech, not any others only HIV. You say that my symptoms are non-specific, sorry that doesnt cut it, I shouldnt have any symptoms at all according to the tests. My symptoms are very specific, only one STD produces all these, during ARS, then the chronic living with symptoms now present in my body. Many thanks to Dr. Steve for calling me back, all the way to Canada. While I respect Dr. Bob and Dr. Steve I must admit that Dr. Conaway and Dr. Holodniy are much more analytical, suggesting that with negative antibody tests beyond 6 months but very real risk and persistent symptoms such as PN and chronic diarrhea then further testing is warranted. They say testing such as cd4 (of which mine are low 455-530, 3 times in a row), viral load tests and PCR rna and dna testing is warranted. Please I need somebody in my corner, dont believe that Canadian universal health care is good. Its crap doctors wont order further testing with negative antibody tests because they are afraid they will be questioned from health Canada who restrict costs even in light of symptoms. Sorry, but Im a taxpayer, my life is worth a few extra bucks. Well tell you in your autopsy. Oh the guy was right, guess we should have done some further testing as Dr. Conaway suggested. After many conversations with CATIE I asked about testing for groups N and O their response was that those Hiv strains are very rare, so we dont tests for them. My response was You dont really know how rare they are since you dont test for them do you? the counseller was at a loss. Please help me my daily life of chronic symptoms is taking its toll on me, no one will help me, I dont want to fall through the cracks. Can one of the good doctors at thebody.com write a letter on my behalf asking my doctor for further testing/work ups. If you agree, over cyberspace and respond to this plea I will phone your offices with details and contact data.

Signed, Help I need somebody, terrified Canadian guy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Terrified Canadian Guy,

I don't think you are going to like this response. However, since this is a science-based information site, I really have no choice other than to present you with the facts.

1. Fact 1: You are definitively and conclusively HIV negative. No further HIV testing is warranted.

2. Fact 2: Your three CD4 analyses (455-530) are completely normal. They should never have been ordered, as there was no clinical or laboratory indication to do so.

3. Fact 3: Your "symptoms" are indeed nonspecific! There are many diseases that can present like this. The most likely cause in your case is depression, guilt and anxiety (i.e. psychosomatic illness).

4. Fact 4: If I were to write a letter on your behalf, I would recommend referring you to a psychiatrist for psychotherapy and treatment of anxiety/depression.

5. Fact 5: Your problem is not HIV but rather being "terrified" of HIV.

6. Fact 6: Whore is not spelled "hoar."

See, I told you that you wouldn't like my response!

Dr. Bob

Previous
masterbation
Next
Worried from Argentina + donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.