Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv testing via clearview stat pak hiv 1/2
Jul 1, 2009

Hello there doc,

I have a somewhat unique question I guess? Eventhough people pick that intelligent brain of yours on a naggingly regular basis =) I am 25 years old i had a risky bar exposure with a girl on feb 1st 2009 that claims to be negative of infection with hiv (I DONT BELIEVE HER) she presented me with a paper that said she was clean but, you never know. I know, its my own fault for allowing my third leg to find its way into the furry criter. Anyways, I have benn repetely tested at weeks 10,12,14,16 and 18.5 weeks all negative, but... 3 days after my last test I developed the classic flu like shivering nasty mucous body aches sore throat headaches, TOO many symptoms to list. Also I have been really stressed out because I fear that I have infected another girl in this process. I have been VERY, VERY, VERY anxious over this and feel the worst is coming. My questions to the wise: 1. Is further testing warranted here? 2. This illness I have, could it be a sign of a late seroconversion? 3. I have had headaches for a while now is this an indicator seroconversion? 4. I am a big guy 6'4" 240lbs an athlete of baseball and healthy like a horse normally, does my size make a difference on testing? 5. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE =)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

A 6'4" 240 lb. baseball athlete who is VERY, VERY, VERY anxious and "feels like the worst is coming"???? Hmm . . . you're kind of like the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. A big strong guy afraid of something that is essentially nonexistent.

Certainly it's true that allowing your "third leg to find its way into the furry critter" without being appropriately dressed for the occasion does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. However, your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 18.5 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Your recent "classic flu" almost 19 weeks after your potential exposure is not at all worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). The symptoms of ARS manifest themselves several weeks after primary HIV infection, not 4.5 months! Your fears are unwarranted. (Just like the Cowardly Lion's fears.)

To address your specific questions:

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No.

5. You're welcome.

The one thing that does concern me about your post is your comment: "I fear I have infected another girl . . . ." This would indicate to me that your third leg is still not appropriately attired for his amorous adventures with other furry critters. What's up with that? It's time to wise up Mr. "Healthy-Like-A-Horse" or you'll soon have to change your name to "Mr. Sick-As-A-Dog!"

So my advice is simple:

1. Stop worrying about a disease you could not possibly have. A negative FDA-approved HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (three months) trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

2. If you've had other unprotected adventures in the love canal, you'll need an HIV test three months after your last unprotected probe.

3. Wise up and start protecting yourself!

4. Netflix and watch The Wizard of Oz paying particular attention to the Cowardly Lion character.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
what can i do
Next
Smokey The Bear (SMOKING and HIV, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.