Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting really scard - please answer - 4th try - made $100 donation
Jun 28, 2009

Hi Dr. F ~

I appreciate this website and I've read the postings on oral sex extensively over the last couple of months! My donation confirmation number is EPCE3EC1DF26.

I know you say that in general, oral sex is very low risk. A lot of people have asked about their specific circumstances, and I'd like to ask about mine. I have had a chronic, low-grade tonsillitis for about a month; it's minor, it doesn't hurt, and I've forgotten it's there a few times, but there *are* small sores and white spots on my tonsils. During this time period, over the last month, I've given oral sex to about four guys, to completion, with swallowing. The last time was about two weeks ago. I know about when to test, etc. What I'd like to know is if you think the tonsillitis I describe increases exposure risk significantly, in the same way that having an oral STD would. Without the tonsillitis, I would *know* that receptive oral sex is considered very low risk. But what about with the tonsillitis? Please, please, please take pity on my and send me your answer specifically talking about tonsillitis and oral hiv risk. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

There are many different types of tonsillitis with varying degrees of severity and associated amounts of inflammation, from a severe bout of strep throat where it is painful to swallow (let alone think about deep-throating a throbbing tallywhacker) to low-grade cryptic tonsillitis (low-grade chronic inflammation). Consequently I'll only be able to address theoretical risk. Certainly if your tonsils are inflamed or actively infected, there would be a theoretical increased risk for the inflamed area to come into contact with HIV-infected fluids, such as spunk. This can be analogous to having an active STD in the mouth (gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, etc.). However, it's the degree of inflammation and the presence or absence of open sores or lesions that determines the level of HIV risk.

I'd suggest:

1. Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark to put your worries permanently to rest.

2. Get your chronic tonsillitis treated so you won't have this

concern the next time "something cums up" (so to speak).

Thanks again for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
eczema and vaginal fluids
Next
Scared and Helpless !! Please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.