Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission by Scratching Someone?
Jun 22, 2009

Hello Dr.! I'm hoping you can help relieve my anxiety (I have OCD), and I will definitely donate to your wonderful cause. A couple weeks ago, we went to a restaurant. The server went to put my 2 year old's plate in front of her, but couldn't reach all the way. I extended my hand out to grab her plate, and I felt my fingernail snag the server's hand. Later on, I asked if I scratched him, and he said no. But I was thinking he could have just said no because maybe he was embarassed or didn't want to make a big deal out of it. But I know I snagged his hand. What I'm worried about is, if I broke his skin and got some of his blood under my fingernail (which I didn't see any blood, but imagined a microscopic amount), could the blood enter under my fingernail, even though I didn't have an open cut? If I cut my nails too short or break one, they start bleeding. This leads me to think there's no skin under the nail, just blood. My OCD is really bad. I put band-aids on my hangnails or wear gloves, because if I caught anything, I'm afraid I'll accidentally give it to my toddler. Sorry this is so long! Do you think it's possible I could have gotten HIV that way? Thank you for your time!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your worries are completely irrational and totally unwarranted. Even if the server was HIV positive and he scratched you (rather than you scratching him), the HIV-transmission/acquisition risk would remain nonexistent. Your problem is unquestionably OCD, not HIV! No way. No how. No HIV tests are warranted. I would, however, advise you seek help for your OCD, as living life with such fears can't be easy!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's very much appreciated!

Be well. Stay well. Stop worrying. And remember HIV is not your problem!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I had a dream about you... +Question
Next
Thank you from Hopelessly anxious

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.