Don't know what to do....Please respond-donation to follow
Jun 22, 2009
Hello Bob. I need your expert advice. I had receptive oral sex about 6 weeks ago and swallowed a small amount of semen. I had no bleeding gums, cuts or sores that I was aware of. The guy is positive as I found out afterward. He has been positive for a while. I became ill at three weeks with fatigue and achy joints. I have had no fever or night sweats but my lymph nodes are swollen, tender and one in my elbow is huge. I had an oral HIV test at 5 weeks that is negative. What do you think? I had always heard oral sex was really low sex but after reading posts on your website, I feel I have made a grave mistake. I read something about the tonsils making someone susceptible to acquiring HIV. Help! How long after ARS should someone expect to become HIV on a test? Having a hard time sleeping tonight so I'd thought I'd try to get some answers. Thanks.
Response from Dr. Frascino
What do I think? I've expressed my opinion about oral sex at least a gazillion times and I haven't changed that opinion. Check out the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to oral sex!
To briefly respond to your questions:
1. A five-week negative test is encouraging, but not conclusive. You'll have to wait for the three- or six-month mark for that. The CDC recommends a test at six months for folks who have had a significant HIV exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV infected.
2. Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV acquisition or transmission.
3. Most HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks. However, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive.
4. Most HIV-infected folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks. However, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive.
Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative. (I'm confident it will!)
Peruse the information in the archives of this forum. You should find the information and testimonials there both enlightening and reassuring.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Balls After Mutual Masturbation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Rash After Vaginal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Loose Stool After Protected Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Muscle Ache After Giving Oral Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Chlamydia Effects In Men If Untreated
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.