Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How likely is it to get Hep A,B,C and HIV from a tattoo?
Jun 22, 2009

I recently got a tattoo in a shop that has recently been closed due to unsanitary conditions and unsterilized equipment. Health board is now asking everyone who got a tattoo there to come forward for testing of HEP A,B, C and HIV. I got my blood work done yesterday, and I am sitting here terrified of the results. How likely is it I could have contracting one or all of these diseases from my stupid mistake one night?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

How likely is it? Unfortunately there is no way I can specifically quantitate the probability of HIV transmission in situations like this. There are too many potentially confounding variables to consider. (For instance, did you get a tasteful triceps tattoo that reads "I Love Dr. Bob" or did you become the "illustrated man" covering every available centimeter of skin with ink, like that cute guy on the TV show Prison Break?) The bottom line here is that your local health department has determined there is at least enough of a potential risk that clients should be screened for HIV and hepatitis. You've had your blood drawn. So now all you can do is wait.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
blood exposure, and negative test at 8 weeks
Next
Don't know what to do....Please respond-donation to follow

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.