|Pure Panic...Obsessive Testing..HELP
Jun 20, 2009
Thank you for all that you do. I hope that I end up being one of the WW's!
I had a low risk exposure, 1 week later; I had the following symptoms lasting from 1-2 weeks: Sore throat, fatigue, sunburn-like rash chest/face (would turn white when pressed upon), night sweats, loose stool (still). Developed hairy white tounge that is still present (8weeks), more white on both borders of tounge that will not go away (HIV DR says not OHl). Nickle size black/blue spot on roof of mouth for past 2 weeks; quarter size dark spot back of leg, looks like a healing bruse. Had lite scratch rash/injury appear on hand which healed in 5-7 days. Per HIV Dr. had Angular C. (Diflucan 10 days, i think its gone).
Tests (this is the obsessive part): Baseline Antibody - 2 weeks Pcr RNA Neg 4 weeks Pcr RNA Neg 5 weeks Pcr DNA neg 6 Antibody neg 7 weeks PCR RNA & DNA neg 8 weeks Antibody neg PCR RNA neg
Have been seen by HIV DR. (several times) who put me on antianxiety meds. After 8week appt. she wanted to put me on anti-pysco meds beacuse she says I do NOT have HIV. She isn't even recommending a 12 week ab test.
Questions: 1. what else could cause a healthy active male to have these issues?
2. I know the 12 week mark and I will take it but do you think, given symptoms, I should test beyond the 12 weeks if still neg?
3. What other tests should I consider if I have had the listed symptoms but undetectable on all those DNA/RNA PCR's? Different types of HIV?
4. Erase this question Prior to posting but if you believe the Neg AB and PCR tests out to 8-9 weeks (both DNA and RNA) are conclusive (I understand this would be YOUR option only, and not a sceintific certainty) and just can't post that to the world, please end your reply with: "The odds are in your favor that your 12 week Elisa will be WOO-HOO-ABLE!!!"
This is very cloak and dagger, very 007!
I am on the verge of a meltdown and will seek clinical help for my anxiety/OCD on this issue. Thank you for all that you do, I will match a dontation to my testing costs 1:1.
Please Reply Soon!
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. There is a long list of underlying conditions that could cause your symptoms. At the top of that list is anxiety and psychosomatic illness.
2. No, absolutely not. In fact I absolutely agree with the advice you were given by the HIV specialist.
3. None! You've had way too many already!
4. No need to erase anything. I would advise you are WOO-HOO-able now. A 12-week HIV-antibody test will merely corroborate that fact.
5. Actually not so cloak and dagger or "007." It's really just basic science, statistics and a wealth of experience.
6. I'm delighted you are planning to seek help with your OCD and anxiety issues. This is undoubtedly what is causing you such discomfort at the present time! Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. Your one gift will touch many lives in desperate need.
Be well. Stay well. Remember, HIV is not your problem. You are indeed a WW, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Semen After Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Rubbing Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Foreplay Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Swallowing Blood Worried I Have HIV
- Can Thrush Cause A Metallic Taste In Your Mouth?
- Can You Get Genital Warts On The Labia Minor?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.