Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv from an Endoscopy???
Jun 19, 2009

I had an Endoscopy 4 years ago and 8 Days later I got a rash all over my body (big purple spots) and a very high fever I was like this for a whole week. I went to the hospital Emergency Room and explained what happened to me, I was sent home just with tylenol because they said it was just a virus. But this is where it goes worst. I have been always in a relationship with the same man for 15 years, we have been alwats loyal to each other and never cheated to each other. Last year I was diagnosed with HIV and a CD4 of only 145 and viral load 150,000. I was so scared as I knew that was AIDS already. I went with my boyfriend to get him tested and he tested negative. I was put on Atripla right away and now I am undetectable with CD4 575. My boyfriend continues to be negative. My question is, since we have never been with other men, and the only time that I felt so sick was after that Endoscopy, is it possible that I got the virus from that procedure? One thing that I most mention is that the Endoscopy was performed at the Doctor's office in NYC and he was using the same equipment to perform the test to multiple persons. I did see each time the nurse washed the equipment with a blue liquid, but I am affraid I got the HIV from there. Would that be true? is there a way to prove that I got the virus from them and perhaps press legal charges? Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Is there a way to prove you contracted HIV from an endoscopy procedure four years ago and press legal charges? No. Not unless you can prove you contracted your infection there (extremely unlikely) or there were a number of cases of HIV seroconversion possibly related to this particular physician's practice (also extremely unlikely). I should also mention it would be unlikely that your CD4 count would fall so dramatically to 145 within a four-year period. Generally speaking it takes much longer (closer to 8 or 10 years) to drop that low. Are you absolutely certain there were no other potential HIV-exposure risks over the past decade?

One piece of encouraging news is that you are responding well to treatment both virologically (HIV plasma viral load plummeting to undetectable) and immunologically (CD4 climbing to 575).

Dr. Bob

Previous
Extremely worried, need reassurance
Next
HIV on mail

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.