final follow up (My Dr. is being ridiculous and now advising I have a C-section based on inconclusive results.)

I just wanted to say thank you for all you do. I wrote in a few times about my pregnancy and indeterminate western blots. After not being able to see eye to eye with a Dr. who wanted me to medicate myself and have a C-section I ditched the Doc. My new OB had me take one Elisa, no western blot and guess what, negative. They told me no further testing was necessary and to let this all go. This site was so helpful during this entire process. I am actually grateful for this experience because it opened my mind. I am now so informed and much more compassionate. Thanks again.

I absolutely agree with your new OB! I'd suggest you send a copy of this post and my response to your old OB physician. He clearly does not understand HIV testing and his recommendations were not only unreasonable, but they could have been potentially harmful!

Be well. Good luck with your upcoming new addition.

patient and grateful Apr 19, 2009

I am truly grateful for your information here. I did ask a question a few days ago about abnormal blood work.(but I understand you get a million questions) I am pregnant and have read here that that alone can cause inconclusive results. However, my Dr. is being ridiculous and now advising I have a C-section based on inconclusive results. I received a negative rapid test result and am wondering if labs are inconclusive why would rapids be negative. This last question I am appologizing for but I truly want to know. I have racked my brain of how I could have contracted HIV (I'm in a happy loving marriage) and was wondering if it is completely offensive to ask my brother (who is gay and had lots of partners) if he is. My son who is severely disabled has bitten him on several occasions where he has left bruises and possibly broken the skin. However I would never want to hurt his feelings and maybe the bite thing is ridiculous. Please advise.

I agree your obstetrician is being ridiculous! "Inconclusive" (indeterminate?) HIV tests while pregnant followed by a negative rapid HIV test is strong evidence you are HIV negative. This would go along with your lack of HIV-exposure risk. I would suggest you find a more competent and reasonable obstetrician to deliver your baby! Alternatively you could consult an HIV specialist and then ask that specialist to contact your confused obstetrician to inform him of your definitive HIV-negative status.

As for your brother, I very strongly doubt he has anything to do with them! Besides, if he was HIV positive, wouldn't he have already told you? I certainly would hope so.

Ignorance is not bliss May 6, 2009

First off I want you to know that you have completely changed the way I look at hiv and in return I will teach my soon to be 4 children correctly. You really are making a difference and I will be a life long donater to your foundation. I have read everything about pregnancy and false positive results but I just need to know where to go from here.... I had wrote to you about an indeterminate test followed by a negative rapid test and pregnancy, well the drama continues. Today I went back for my new results and it was indeterminate. This is what it said, This result may represent incomplete HIV antibody response or nonspecific reactivity. Persons with an initial Indeterminate Western Blot should be retested for HIV-1 infection at least one month later HIV-1 RNA/DNA testing may detect viral nucleic acid prior to full seroconversion. Here is my problem, my Dr. doesn't know what to do with me (besides drugs, c-section, etc) Due to insurance I can't change Dr.'s and no HIV specialist in SD area will see me because I am not confirmed to be HIV positive. To make things better, the lab they use ONLY does Western Blot, no Elisa testing. But after reading your forum I did go to a rapid test site, they drew blood and said negative. ok so here are my 2 questions... Do you think I could have HIV? my husband and I cannot think of any risk factors. 2. If I had it, would my western blot be positive and not indeterminate? Please help with this, I really have no one else willing to help me at all! Thank you for changing the world one ignorant mother at a time. I have learned so much from you and gained much compassion and love for people suffering with this.

I continue to be shocked and appalled by the substandard medical care you are currently receiving. Also, I strongly doubt a lab only does Western Blots and no ELISAs (or ELISA equivalents). It seems to me your OB is the real problem. You need to find a way to get away from him or her.

1. Do I think you could have HIV? No, I'm completely convinced you do not have HIV. (If your clueless OB needs additional proof, he should order a qualitative HIV PCR DNA test, as this type of test is not dependent on anti-HIV antibodies.)

2. Yes, your Western Blot would have been positive by now if your first indeterminate WB was reflecting incomplete seroconversion. This obviously is not the case.

I urge you not to take antiretroviral drugs. Do not have a C-section (unless clinically indicated for reasons other than your OB's false impression of your HIV status). And finally demand to see another more competent OB/GYN.

If you are having difficulty making an appointment with an HIV specialist in your area, check out the physicians in your area listed on the Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site (http://www.aahivm.org/). They are certified HIV specialists and should be willing to see you to help sort this problem out. Also, you could go to your local health department STD clinic and explain your dilemma. They can easily screen you for HIV. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

please doctor i feel im 6 feet under the ground
sawalling your own sperm (QTND: CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV OR STD, 2009)