fly to EUA

Hi i m from portugal and i like to know if i can fly to NY with HIV pills withot problems. I have to declare that?thank you manel

Hi Manel,

Personally I wouldn't declare HIV medications. Just pack them with your other stuff and don't mention them when you clear customs. (See below.)

HIV entry to US in 2009 May 31, 2009

Has the entry of HIV-positive people to the US improved with the new Administration? I am needing to transit Hawaii for only 2 days each way when travelling from Australia to Canada. I will be carrying meds and am worried about them in my carry-on and being stopped at Customs as I will be traveling with friends unaware of my situation.

Peter

Hello Peter,

The attitude has certainly changed but the laws are still under revision. Unfortunately the Bush/Cheney reign of error has left such a mess (the economy, the environment, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan and, well, essentially the entire universe) that the Obama administration has had many crises to deal with simultaneously. A new national HIV/AIDS strategy is being developed that will address this and many other issues.

As for transiting Hawaii with HIV medications, you should have no difficulties. It's my understanding that customs agents are not actively searching for HIV medications at this time. They should be busy screening for terrorists, not AZT pills! Most customs agents wouldn't be able to differentiate HIV medication from any of the thousands of other pills travelers carry with them. So you should be fine.

Safe travels!

Can sinuses cause your CD4 count to lower?
is it possible