Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what are my chances?
Jun 15, 2009

hello Dr. Robert,

it's really nice seeing you help out ppl in such a way, i envy your will. as for my question, i recently had intercourse with a hooker, a kazakhstani hooker if that would help, in dubai and my condom just got torn out of nowhere and luckily i withdrew my thing right away, the problem is what if she was hiv postive? although she told me that she takes the test every 2 to 3 months which i don't actually believe since such ppl are not really honest about anything, i really need to need an answer for this: what are my chances of getting infected? please note that it have been four days four days since that encounter and i haven't had any sign of any other std, everything is quite normal except for the depression and terror am living in. please help me out, i really need to know what to expect instead of just thinking too much before doing the test after three months. and what exactly is the window period? thanks in advance, i will donate for the cause, i respect your efforts to make this world better. thank you again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is very low, because your exposure was extremely brief and we do not know the status of your Kazakhstani hootchy-kootchy gal. (By the way I don't think hookers are any less honest than anyone else, including those who pay for their services!).

As for what to expect, I don't believe you should expect anything. Take a read through the archives of this forum. You should find the information there enlightening and encouraging. I'll advise that you should avoid being hypervigilant about "symptoms," worrying that each sniffle, headache or pimple is a sure sign you have HIV/AIDS. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to worry or get tested should be based solely on HIV-exposure risk. You've had a very minimal risk. Get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark (the window period is three months). The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not acquire HIV from your Kazakhstani sexperience.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative. (I'm quite confident it will indeed be negative!)

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex/Magnetic Couple (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX)
Next
HIV from operating room exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.