Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nosebleed
Jun 15, 2009

Dear Dr.Frascino,

I hope this communication finds you well and I want to thank you in advance for your time in answering my question. It will help me relieve the fear and tension although if you feel an HIV test is warranted by all means please advise me so and i will go straight away.

The incident is as follows:

Following a longhaul flight I had a nosebleed (it happens often in dry-air environment or air-conditioning etc and have consulted my GP who has run tests and concluded nothing was serious). For the rest of that day my nose was sore, the very front part, on the opening of the nose particularly. At some point after the flight the significant bleeding had stopped but not all of it and certainly not the sore. Because it was in my mind on one occasion whilst home walking in my city I put my finger on the sore part to check if there was blood and on my finger there was a solid blood which more looked like a small piece of paper soaked in blood-cannot explain it any better, sorry!!! Not sure if it was dry or not at that point but a few minutes later it dried cause I could touch it and lift it from the finger-that is why I say it was like solid blooded something!! My fear is what if I had previously touched a surface, a door-knob, something in the city whilst walking and then transferred it to my bleeding wound in the nose when i touched it to see if the nosebleed had stopped. The touching was not more than a few seconds but that was when that solid blood came out-whether it was my blood or picked up from touching a surface or door handle that is something i do not know and it creates my fear. Doctors say blood on environmental surface does not transmit HIV from the minute that blood hits the air, other sites suggest I seek mental help and others that the risk is low...all the variety of answers as you can imagine!! I was given your name from a colleague who admires you, as well as your work at 'the body' and at your foundation, so that you can ease my fear and advise me if my risk is existent or zero.

Your answer would greatly help me. Stay well and keep doing this amazing job you are doing. Through your foundation site I will see all info to donate an amount from my little savings for that great cause.

Kind regards, worried-over-nosebleed

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. HIV testing is not warranted. HIV cannot be contracted by casual contact with environmental surfaces (such as doorknobs, etc.), even if you then touch a wound (like a nosebleed).

For your nosebleeds, try using a moisturizing saline nose spray or gel while flying or when in dry, irritating environments. If that doesn't do the trick, see an ENT physician.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Precum in sores
Next
Oral sex/Magnetic Couple (TRANSMISSION VIA ORAL SEX)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.