Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

question + 100 donation Dr Bob1
Jun 12, 2009

Hi doc ,

I read a post , where you mentioned , that in your own experience about HIV you have not seen somebody that Tests negative at the 3 Month mark, and later positive, with the new generation tests, here comes the question, 1) what are for you the new generation test? the EIA that search antibodies & p24 antigen? 2)you mentioned that only few cases have turned to positive, but in very extenuating circumstances, what are those extenuating circumstances? 3)how conclusive is a 3 month mark test? do u think 6 month is outdated like in freedomhealt 4) do you know the Instrument Elecsys 2010 Roche for hiv how reliable is it?

Dr thanks for your time im a 30 years old goodlooking man , you are very handsome , congrats for your relation with steve, I hope You are very happy!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. An EIA for anti-HIV antibodies plus a p24 antigen is usually at least a third-generation assay. I'd call that new or at least newish!

2. These are extremely rare and far too numerous to list completely. The "common" ones include immune system problems (common variable immunodeficiency disease, radiation, chemotherapy, drugs that cause temporary immunosuppression, etc.), laboratory or clerical errors, etc.

3. In most cases three months is sufficient for a definitive result. The CDC recommends a six-month follow-up for occupational exposures and significant exposure to someone documented to be HIV positive.

4. Very reliable according to my sources.

Thanks for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org) and also for the handsome comment! Both are warmly appreciated.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is there HIV immunity???
Next
haunted by the past...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.