CD4 count of 110 and just diagnosed.
Jun 10, 2009
Hi doc my names chris im a 22 yr old male who just found out im HIV positive. Went to the doctor today for my intial results and he instructed me that I had a CD4 count of 110 he didnt have the viral load on record. Iv'e been smoking since I was 15 and have been drinking lots of grog to deal with the stress. My fiance who is also hiv positive has a cd4 count of 800. Am I a gonner cause its so low. What the hell do I do. Thanks doc Ps: will my low cd4 count increase hers if we make whoopie :)
Response from Dr. Frascino
Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Are you a goner because your CD4 count is 110? Nope. But you do have AIDS with severe CD4 depletion that places you at increased risk for opportunistic infections, such as PCP (Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia) and consequently you do need to take action now!
As for what to do next, here's what I recommend:
1. See an HIV specialist physician without delay. That doctor will want to do additional tests, including repeating your counts and getting a resistance (genotype) test to help decide which antiretroviral medication regimen would work best for you.
3. As for making whoopee with your HIV-positive fiancé, use condoms. You don't want to risk cross contamination by picking up each other's viral strains (dual infection/superinfection).
4. Because your CD4 count is below 200, you should immediately begin prophylaxis for PCP by taking Bactrim (Septra) daily.
5. Get informed about HIV and its treatment. Begin by reading the "Just Diagnosed" chapter that can be found under the "HIV Basics" heading on The Body's homepage. From there you and your fiancé should peruse the wealth of information in the archives and on related sites.
With proper and prompt treatment, you could experience significant improvements in your CD4 counts and consequently your immune health.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Testicles After Masturbation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Vaginal Discharge After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Can I Use Vinegar To Find Out If I Have Std?
- Can You Get Genital Warts In Your Mouth?
- Do Steroids Cause Vaginal Infections?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.