Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Have you ever seen....????????
Jun 9, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

Hope all is going well with you. The biggest irony I see on this site is the compassion, graciousness and patience from a man battling the very disease that most people writing here and freaking out about don't even have. I'm one of them and you've answered my questions in the past. I'm trying to put closure on an experience I had back in Dec. '07. "Essentially nonexistent" is how you described it (licking my finger after masturbating a stripper thought to be hiv+). The series of tests I've had to date are a total of 45 elisas (varied types, ie. Home access, oraquick rapid finger prick and oral, Orasure, Lab run elisas, rapid uni-gold) in addition to a pcr-dna at 7 mos, pcr qualitative (to 400 copies), two nats at one year and 16 months. All have been negative. Last test last week (home access - neg at 18 months). I should have been Woo Hooing awhile ago right? Wrong! I still have floaters and my tongue looks really white at times. These past 18 months have taken a toll and although I'm close to accepting my negative status, I feel if I let go, a year or years from now I'll be hit with a whammy of late seroconversion, rare type, etc. How do I close this? Should I get a CD-4 count test to see if my immune system is ok?I've heard the longest recorded seroconversion was 42 months, I'm marking that as my new time line to get to but this way of living sucks!! Any suggestions? God Bless and looking for one last bit i

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Forty-five negative ELISAs??? Two negative NATs? One negative DNA PCR and one negative RNA PCR? These tests have been taken over an 18-month period after you licked your finger after fingering a stripper. Dude!!! Exactly what part of "no risk" and "HIV negative" are you having difficulty understanding? Your outrageous number of repeatedly negative HIV tests is definitive, conclusive and extremely excessive!

You are wondering what to do now because you still can't believe the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence you do not have HIV. The answer is to get psychiatric or psychological help. Your fears are completely irrational and totally unwarranted.

Should you get a CD4 count to see if your immune system is OK? No, of course not. Rather, you should climb up on the shrink's couch for some psychotherapy!

Stop testing. Stop wasting money, blood and resources. Get the psychiatric help you need, not more tests that you don't!

Dr. Bob

Previous
criminalizing hiv non disclosure (CRIMINALIZING HIV NON-DISCLOSURE, 2009)
Next
Kissing stripper's body

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.