Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Needs help
Jun 9, 2009

I Was married to a very unfaithful man for a number of years and had a momentary melt down while away with my girlfriends in New York. I met a worker at the hotel we were staying at and after numerous cocktails and being hundreds of miles away from home decided that I would have sex with this guy. We used a condom and it broke. I freaked out and went to the Dr. about a month after I got home had an HIV test done and the result was negative. I didn't have any symptoms right after the encounter. It has been 4and a half years since all of this happened. I have had some weird stuff going on with my body in recent. I contracted herpes from my unfaithful husband and have had an increase in outbreaks, abnormal sweating in my right armpit, tingleing and numbness in my arms and legs, fatigue, more than normal yeast infections, and had a cervical cancer scare. I don't know if it is just nerves but now I feel I have a film on my tongue as well. Do you think these could be symptoms of HIV and should I be retested.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The reason to consider HIV testing is twofold: First, your husband was "very unfaithful" and second, your broken-condom incident during your girls-night-out activities in the Big Apple. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark ("window period") are not considered to be conclusive. Consequently your negative HIV test one month after your New York nookie was encouraging, but not definitive.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to worry or get tested should be based on HIV-exposure risk, not the presence or absence of symptoms.

My advice is to retest and, if you haven't already dumped unfaithful guy, to seriously consider how to prevent any further risk from his "indiscretions."

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
donated 20 dollars need ur opinion
Next
Bad advice from planned parenthood?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.